Wednesday, February 10, 2010

frugal meal friday: hot n cold

It has certainly been cold here!  Remember all that snow we got?  Well, now on top of that we've added rain, sleet, more snow and a very strong wind!  This chick does NOT like to be cold!

So, what's my solution for fighting off winter's chill?  Make soup of course!!!

I'm a soup lover, especially chowders (Do they qualify as soup or are they a whole other category?  Regardless, I love them!).  Soup is great because it's generally cheap and there is always lots left over, especially with only two of us.  Another great way to save money is to designate one or two nights a week as meatless meals.  The hubby isn't so keen on the idea, but it an easy way to save!

This recipe covers a lot of those bases!


 You can find the original recipe here, but I've modified it a bit; below you can find the recipe I use.

*Spinach Tortellini Soup*

You will need:
8 cups of chicken broth
2 (9-ounce) bags of frozen cheese tortellini 
1 large bag of frozen, chopped spinach (I always get the biggest bag I can since this is the cheapest ingredient and helps stretch the recipe)
Diced garlic to taste (Usually I add about 2 tablespoons, but I like garlic!)

Combine all ingredients except the tortellini in a large pot and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat to simmer and then add pasta.  Once pasta is desired tenderness remove the pot and serve immediately.  

How easy is that???  We usually have enough for dinner and several lunches; I think the flavor is better with the leftovers.

I hope you enjoy this yummy meal and it helps keep you nice and warm.  If you try it and like it or make changes to the recipe please share in the comments section and tell us all about it!

    

1 comment:

Jess said...

I've REALLY got to try this! I wonder how it would work in a crock pot. Or maybe adding mushrooms or carrots?? I can't wait to experiment!!